Attendance & Sickness
Research has shown that children’s academic progress is very closely related to attendance at school. The school must collect and report details of absence by law which is monitored closely. Lateness is also monitored. Excellent attendance is celebrated and promoted through assemblies and rewards.
The full details of our attendance policy are in the link below. Please read this in addition to the summary points on this page.
Leave of Absence in Term Time
- We believe that children need to be in school for all sessions, so that they can make the best possible progress.
- Parents are discouraged from withdrawing their children from school in term time for family holidays because this may impact on their progress. Holidays taken in term time will be unauthorised.
- Headteachers may only authorise Leave of Absence in term time in exceptional circumstances. Parents who believe their circumstances are exceptional are asked to complete an Application for Leave of Absence form available on the Parentapp, from the school office or the link below. This form should be completed and returned to school no less than ten school days before the proposed leave and before committing to any expense and parents must be available to discuss the request with the Headteacher / Deputy Headteacher / Pastoral Manager, by telephone or in person.
- Parents who remove their child from school purporting to be ill or otherwise unavoidably absent and subsequently found to have taken a holiday may receive an Education Penalty Notice.
If a child is absent.
- When a child is absent unexpectedly, the class teacher will record their absence on the register. This is then followed up by an administrator within the office and if no reason has been given a phone call to the parents / carers will be made. If no contact is made, we will contact the other names on our system to try to identify why the child is absent from school. This is part of our Safeguarding procedures.
- It is important that parents / carers inform the school of absence as soon as possible by leaving a voice message on the absence line or by contacting the school through the Parent App before 8.45am on the morning of each day the child is absent.
We do ask that any appointments be made outside of school where possible. If it is necessary to take your child out of school for an appointment your child must be collected by an adult and signed out at the school office. A copy of their appointment card/letter should be brought into school and the class teacher notified of the appointment in advance.